I Wear Glasses version 3

I love writing. Except for a spell at university (the me of today would’ve been horrified at the quality of my uni work), I have always strived to say the most, using the least.

I wanted to create an experience that unlike my previous IWG iterations (WP and Joomla), encouraged me to publish.


In most CMS implementations, you don’t see what you get on the web anyway, what you see is a text area replaced by a box with a bunch of buttons at the top and you can see what your changes will look like in the context of that box – not on the site you are managing. The best roulette and poker on our site 10 euro bonus ohne einzahlung. Go to and get big bonuses!
Rachel McAndrew – Article

That pretty much nails the ineffectuality of WYSIWYG for me. I felt like the WYSIWYG was a barrier, I had to grit my teeth and use it to publish my content.

As my experience grew and I began to see the futility in publishing via WYSIWYG, I ended up conceiving articles in a plain text editor with HTML markup.

It was simpler, cleaner and faster and god how I loathed Word.

Of course, I was still at the mercy of WYSIWYG and upon save, I would grimace as I saw my copy and markup turn into clump of characters. Not very readable, and infuriating to separate again and again.


Today, I write all my content in the Writer app (I’m currently writing this in Writer Pro; looking to grasp the workflow ATM). I want the experience to be seamless, no slow control panels or flabby, bespoke code.


Kirby’s simplistic approach to publishing content was all I needed. I can now save content directly out of Writer and, using FTP (As I have shared hosting, sadly I cannot use Dropbox).

Thanks to previous experience with Perch and Code Academy (plus some great friends), it took me a couple of weeks to rebuild and launch.

I’m still experimenting with the pros and cons of Markdown versus Kirbytext. However, as Writer Pro supports Markdown, the changes I make here are correctly interpreted by Kirby.

Unfortunately, the Kirbytext output isn’t always as semantic as possible. For example: Adding figure to quotes and images isn’t a standard feature. That said, the Markdown that Kirbytext is based on, allows inline HTML (with a few caveats).


Using a style guide I created from the original design, I was able to rebuild the site using more effective media queries without relying on a new visual design. I used The Elements of Typographic Style as a guide for the layout of articles.

Specifically, I aimed for a line measure of roughly 66 characters.

New experiences

I’ve learned so much on this rebuild:

Still to come

As I convey to clients on a daily basis, a website is never complete, it’s a labour of love.

Today I have just finished updating to Microformats 2 . I am still aiming to improve my YSlow and WAVE scores.